Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Beginning

The field of public health focuses on population health while the field of family therapy focuses on systemic change in small systems (e.g., couples, families).  While the two fields seem to operating at different levels, it is my belief that these two fields can collaborate together to help individuals, couples, families, and communities create the healthy environments they desire. 

I have been working with individuals, couples, families, and communities as a family therapist for over 15 years.  An important part of my work has been to provide culturally sensitive care to those I serve.  In my quest to educate myself I came across public health literature that proposed a connection between the behavior of health providers and health disparities.  I went back to school to obtain my M.P.H. from Drexel University to better understand the world of public health.

During this time in school I become increasingly aware of how family therapists have an unique opportunity to let their clients know of important public health issues that affect their social, emotional, psychological, and physical health.  Equally important is how family therapy theories can help public health officials understand community behaviors that could influence public health policy.

Family Therapy IS Public Health blog will be a place in which the literature of public health and family therapy is examined, explored, and elaborated upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment